Hargrave family research notes
Genealogies (Warning! - the genealogies listed below have not been verified. Unfortunately, most genealogies on-line are replete with erroneous information and these could be also, be very careful and validate your information:
- Joseph Hargrave, father of Cyllanae, Virginia Ann and Mariah L. Hargrave FamilySearch.org 278F-FGT
- Joseph Hargrave, father of Cyllanae, Virginia Ann and Mariah Hargrave (doesn't list Cyllanea) ancestry.com
George Lynch married Cyllanae Hargrave in Harris county, Texas, possibly Hockley (her given name recorded various ways, including Celina, Selina, Selinda and Plomonia),1 but on a deed dated March 20, 1871, she signed her name "Cyllanae Lynch". 2
Two 1850 censuses give women with names similar to Cyllanae, one whose parents are Levi and Lucienne Hargrave and the other's parents are Joseph Hargrave & Missouri (Cobbs) Hargrave. To confuse the researcher, both families are from Louisiana and the daughters are the same age as Cyllanae, but further research shows she was the daughter of Joseph Hargrave.
1850, TX, Grimes, Texas p 740, Oct 24 HH 112/133 Joseph HARGRAVE, 34, M, farmer, LA Mison HARGRAVE, 24, F, TN Selila HARGRAVE, 8, F, LA Janna HARGRAVE, 7, F, LA S Ann HARGRAVE, 2, F, TX Mary E HARGRAVE, 1, F, TX James H COBBS, 69, M, carpenter, LA Vetal LePoint, 30, M, labourer, LA
1850 census - Levi HARGRAVE - dismissed as the family of Cyllanae Hargrave.
1850, LA, Vermilion parish, 6th Ward, Western Dist., Dec. 2nd HH 48 Levi HARGRAVE, 35, M, farmer Lucienne Suiere Levi HARGRAVE, 12, M Selina HARGRAVE, 8, F James HARGRAVE, 6, M Elijah HARGRAVE, 3, M Malina HARGRAVE, 2, G Andre HARGRAVE, 5/12, M
1860 census - The family of Joseph and Missouri Hargrave..
1860, TX, Grimes, Retreat, p 88, Apr 1 HH 583/574 Joseph HARGRAVE, 47, M, farmer, $2000, LA Missouri HARGRAVE, 42, F, TN Johannah HARGRAVE, 18, F, LA Sarah HARGRAVE, 17, F, TX Mary HARGRAVE, 11, F, TX Virginia HARGRAVE, 8, F, TX Mariah HARGRAVE, 6, F, TX James HARGRAVE, 4, M, TX Frank HARGRAVE, 1, M, TX
George W. Lynch and wife Cyllanae (the enumerator recorded "Plomonia") were enumerated on the 1870 census with four children. They were living on a farm in the southwestern corner of Grimes county, Texas near the little town of Courtney, just north of the Waller county line:
1870 census - George & Plumonia Lynch in Courney, Grimes county, Texas — erroneously transcribed as Texas, Concord, Essex, Vermont, USA.
1870, TX, Grimes, Coatney (sic), p 144, July 28 HH 1313 LYNCH, George, 32, M, W, farmer, TX LYNCH, Plomonia, 27, F, W, keeping house, LA LYNCH, Caroline, 9, F, W, TX LYNCH, Lusenia, 4, F, W, TX LYNCH, Wanon (?), M, W, TX LYNCH, Joseph, 1, M, W, TX
Two daughters of Joseph & Missouri Hargrave, sisters of Cyllanae (Hargrave) Lynch married into the prominent family of John Elgin Eberly:
- Virginia Ann Hargrave (1852-1905) 3 married Jerome M. Eberly (~1849-BEF 1880).
- Francis Catherine "Fanny" Hargrave (1871-1920) 4 married William Henry Eberly (1852-1936).
Another sister of Cyllanae, Virginia and Fanny Hargrave was Mariah Hargrave who married 1874 James Lewis "J.L." Boulware, a son of Musco Boulware. 5
A brother of Cyllanae, Virginia & Maria was Frank Hargrave. He shot and killed Musco Boulware, the son of Musco Boulware and brother to James Lewis Boulware, allegedly in a dispute over a horse race.
- Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 marriage of G. W. Lynch & C. Hargrave, July 4, 1869, Houston, Texas; FamilySearch; image 387 of 698; multiple county clerks, Texas.
- Waller county, Texas courthouse (Hempstead, TX) Deed Book G: 73-74; J. M, J. W. & M. D. Lawless of Grimes county deed to Cyllanae Lynch; 116 acres, part of J. Mills survey in Grimes county; March 20, 1871.
- Virginia Ann Hargrave Eberly (1852-1905), 52 years old. FindaGrave.com
- Francis Catherine “Fanny” Hargrave Eberly (1871-1920), 48 years old. FindaGrave.com
- Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 marriage of Maria B. Hargrave & Jas. L. Boulware; FamilySearch, FHL microfilm 1,006,509.; image 156.
Newspaper articles may be read at Timeline of News Reports.