Texas Historical Markers relevant to the Wiess family
Located at Wiess Bluff, between Beaumont and Evadale in Jasper County, Texas. Marker #10467 installed 1973.
Lat/Long: 30° 15' 28.69409999988", -94° 5' 32.67593999988
Marker text: Wiess Bluff (300 yards east). End of tidewater navigation of Neches River; called Grant's Bluff in 1840, when Niles F. Smith laid out town and Simon Wiess (1800-68) built wharf and warehouses to ship area products downriver. Post office, established in 1847 at Pattillo's, in Jefferson County, was moved here July 21, 1853. Area flourished about 1885, when J. G. Smyth & Co. built tram roads into forest and began to cut timber. Beaumont Lumber Co. bought out Smyth in 1888. As good timberland dwindled after 1900, local population declined. The Wiess Bluff Post Office closed Sept. 15, 1908.
Located at 505 Orleans St, Beaumont, Jefferson County, Texas. Marker #10522 installed 1966.
Lat/Long: 30° 4' 58.28379999996", -94° 5' 57.25546000008.
Marker text: First Security National Bank. Oldest bank between Houston and the Louisiana border. Organized on April 9, 1889, with capital of $100,000, as First National Bank of Beaumont, it was granted National Bank Charter No. 4017. First president was Valentine Wiess, a lumber man. Directors were W. A. Fletcher, John N. Gilbert, John L. Keith, L. P. Ogden, H. Solinsky, V. Wiess and W. Wiess. Fletcher was vice-president, J. P. Alvey, cashier. During the course of its history, other banks to merge with First National were Gulf National Bank in July 1919 and Texas National Bank in April 1932. The First National Bank and the Security State Bank were consolidated in October 1961 as First Security National Bank, which celebrated in 1964 its diamond anniversary of service to Texans. Activities of this financial institution have been interwoven with the growth of the community from a sawmill town of 3,200 people to a center of commerce and industry. Its corporate annals reflect participation in the great Spindletop oil boom, in the opening of the Sabine-Neches Ship Channel, and in development of the rice industry. Now the largest and oldest bank and financial institution in Golden Triangle area of Texas.
It is marker #4223 located near the city of Berclair in Goliad County, Texas. It was installed in 1991.
Lat/Long: 28°33'59.52317 -97°38'56.07703
Marker text: Founded in 1869 by James D. Reed, this ranch also was owned by the Peninsula Company comprised of Thomas and William McCampbell and Pryor Lea. Laura (McCampbell) Wiess (d. 1942) inherited it in 1885. The complex, which features more than 25 structures, centers around this two-story house begun by Reed in the 1870s. Laura and her husband, Valentine, added its Queen Anne elements later. The ranch was donated to the Baptist Foundation of Texas (now HighGround Advisors) in 1970. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991.
Marker #10462 is located west of Kirbyville, Jasper County, Texas. It was installed in 1973.
Lat/Long: 30° 42' 56.62595999988", -94° 1' 51.5685100000
Marker text: Name originally applied to widely scattered settlement astride Wiess Bluff-Jasper Road. First settlers, Alexander and Sherod Wright, came into area about 1824. Magnolia Springs Post Office opened at this site in 1850; within a few years the community had a store, church, and grist mill on Wright's (later Mill) Creek; a mill and tannery were on nearby Tanyard Branch. Texas Tram & Lumber Co. had extensive logging operation in area in 1880s-90s. Decline began with arrival of the railroad in Kirbyville, 1895. Post office was moved to present site in 1905.
Located in Baytown, Harris County, Texas, marker #10703 was installed in 1989 at the main Entrance to Exxon Refinery at Decker Rd.
Lat/Long: 29° 45' 16.770708", -94° 59' 45.88656
Marker text: Humble Oil & Refining Company. Ross S. Sterling entered the oil business in 1909, when he invested in the Humble oil file north of Houston. Two years later he formed the Humble Oil Company with five partners: Walter W. Fondren, Charles B. Goddard, William Stamps Farlish, Robert Lee Blaffer, and Harry Carothers Wiess. Sterling's brother, Frank, became a company director in 1914. In 1917 the company obtained a state charter under the name Humble Oil & Refining Company. In order to finance the building of a refinery, fifty percent of the company stock was sold to Standard Oil of New Jersey. The first oil was pumped into a still at the new refinery on May 11, 1920. As the company expanded and employed more people, a town grew up around the refinery. The company provided low-interest home loans to its employees. By the 1930s research was being conducted at the Baytown refinery, resulting in the production of vital products for the U. S. war effort during World War II. The post-war years saw additional expansion at the refinery, and the company was merged with Standard Oil of New Jersey in 1959. The Humble name was used until 1972, when Standard Oil Company (NJ) became known as Exxon Corporation.
This marker #10496 is located at 700 Pearl Street in Beaumont, Texas. It was placed there in 1977. It recognizes the Reliance Lumber Company which was owned by the Wiess brothers.
Lat/Long: 30° 4' 53.60850000012", -94° 5' 49.17284999988
Marker text: Beaumont: Lumber Mill City of the nineteenth century. Beaumont, situated in forests, was a timber town at birth, and marked this site "Steam Mill Square" on its original plat. By 1840, Lucien Hopson had a saw pit on a canal to the south, floating in logs and floating out lumber. Hand-powered shingle and sash mills were soon operating. In the 1850s, steam mills were initiated. Pre-1861 mill firms included Phillips, Ross & Alexander, Otto Ruff, and A. J. Ward. After the Civil War (1861-65) brought ruin, the mills helped the city recover. Bremer Lumber, Goldsmith & Reagan, Long & Long, and Pipkin & Haltom were operating by 1870. Beaumont Lumber Company, Olive & Sternenberg, Reliance, and the Smyth Brothers (Eagle Mill) were here by 1877. Later came Adams & Milmo, Globe Planing Mill, Industrial Lumber, Miller Vidor Lumber, Neches Lumber, the Southern Land & Lumber Company, and Texas Tram & Lumber Company. About 1900, tycoon John Henry Kirby bought several of the Beaumont mills. By the 1920s nearby forests were depleted. Log-floating on the Neches gave way to hauling by railroad, and the city mills were phased out in favor of mills in the woods.
Texas historical marker #10543 is located in Magnolia Cemetery, 2200 Pine Street, Beaumont, Texas.
Lat/Long: 30° 6' 14.31915999984", -94° 5' 58.73195000004
Marker text: Magnolia Cemetery. The Magnolia Cemetery Company was granted a charter by the State of Texas on August 3, 1887. The following month the company's five trustees purchased thirteen acres of land on which to locate the graveyard, and burials were soon taking place in the cemetery. Land acquisitions and expansions over the years have surrounded the Hebrew Rest Cemetery just north of the original thirteen acres, as well as two other burial grounds -- the I.O.O.F (Odd Fellows) Cemetery and a plot deeded in 1876 to "white citizens of Beaumont" (later known as the Public Grounds.) Adjacent to Magnolia Cemetery, but separately held, are the Knights of Pythias and St. Michael's Orthodox cemeteries. Many early settlers and residents of Beaumont are interred here, including two veterans of the Texas Revolution. The oldest grave markers pre-date the official founding of Magnolia Cemetery and are representative of burials which were moved here from private family cemeteries. a variety of grave markers can be seen here, from simple stones to elaborately sculpted angels and family mausoleums. (Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986)
The Magnolia Cemetery Corporation was founded in 1887 with five trustees – Valentine Wiess, Edward L. Wilson, A.S. John, H.W. Smith and John L. Keith. The Charter application was signed by E.L. Wilson, A.S John and V. Wiess and was approved August 3, 1887.
To find other Texas Historical Markers, visit: