1656 - Abt 1720 (63 years)
||Robert Cloud |
||Jul 09, 1656
||Calne, Wiltshire parish, England 
||Delaware, Pennsylvania, USA 
- Parish Register of Calne, Eng. states he is from Seene (Seend), and a shoemaker. He migrated to America with his family on the ship UNICORN in 1682. He recieved a warrant of 200 acres in Chichester Twp., Chester Co., Pa. Sept 1684, which he sold to his brother William in 1686. He then returned to England. He came back to America and settled in New Castle Co., Delaware. He lived at Brandwine Hundred, about 6 miles North of Wilmington, Delaware.
About the 9 mo., 8th day, 1684, Robert Cloud received a warrant for 200 acres of land in Chichester, Chester County which was surveyed 7 mo., 28 day, 1864. He sold this land to his brother William in 1686, and later returned to England. Among the Chester County Court Records is found the following entry:
"Robert Cloude had a Passe granted to him to depart this Province, dated ye 26th day of ye 9th moneth, 1685 (November 25th, 1685), his brother Wm. Cloud of Concord beign his security to safe ye Country Harmlesse."
At a Court held on March 1686, it was "Ordered that the Sherrif take into custody the body of David Lewis upon suspition of Teason, as also ye body of Robert Cloud for concealing ye same, for that the said Robert Cloud being attested before this Court, delcared, that upon of the 3rd day of the weeke before Christmas last, att the house of George Foreman, the said David Lewis did declare in his hearing that he was accused for being concerned with the Duke of Monmouth in the West Country." (in England.) Robert Dyer became surety for David Lewis and William Cloud for his son Robert, for their appearance at the next Provincial Court, to answer the charges.
Robert Cloud had returned to Wiltshire, England by 1688, as William Hitchcock in a letter dated at "Marlborough, ye 30th day of ye 6th month, 1688," and written to John Harding, says, "the letter bearing date ye 11th of ye 12th month 1687 by Thomas Withers I did receive ye 9th day of ye 4th month & ye same day I paid at sight thy bill sixteen pounds to him on thy accounpt & ye same day Robert Cloude on sight of thy bill tenn shillings both mest (messed) here together one day."
Robert Cloud seems to have returned to Pennsylvania about 1699. In 1700 his servant Thomas Davis forged a Certificate for the Philadelphia Meeting and in the minutes it is recorded "Whereas one Thomas Dauis (Davis) Late of Glocestshire in old England who came into this country the last year as Servant to Robert Cloude in the Ship Sarah: whereof John Miller was Commander..."
It is probable that Robert Cloud married in England and that one or more of his children was born there.
Note: Robert, a shoemaker age 25 at time of marriage. Phoebe Neale was from same place age 18 at time of marriage. Marriage license was issued at Calne by the Bishop of Salisbury. In 1684 he received a warrant of 200 acres of land in Chichester, Chester, Pennsylvania, which he sold in 1686 to his brother William and returned to England. He soon returned to America and settled in New Castle, Delaware.
Additional source on FTM CD #403, Yates Publication archive, source #63.000, electronic database, # of pages 1, Submitter Code TJK. Shows birth date 1656 England and wife as Ann Beeson.
||Oct 4, 2006 |
||William Cloude, b. Jul 08, 1621, Devizes, Wiltshire parish, England , d. Bef 25 Aug 1702, Concord, Chester county, Pennsylvania, USA (Age < 81 years) |
||Susan James, b. Mar 26, 1623, Calne, Wiltshire parish, England , d. Abt 1663, Pennsylvania, USA (Age 39 years) |
||Jun 07, 1647
||Calne, Wiltshire parish, England [14, 15, 16]
||Phoebe Neale, b. Abt 1664, Melkham, Wiltshire, England , d. |
||Jul 29, 1682
||Salisbury, Wiltshire, England [17, 18]
|+||1. Joseph Cloud, b. 1685, Chester county, Pennsylvania, USA , d. Nov 30, 1745, Brandywine Hundred, New Castle county, Delaware, USA (Age 60 years)|
|+||2. Rebecca Cloud, b. 1706, New Castle county, Delaware, USA , d. |
|+||3. Robert Cloud, b. 1687, Chichester, Chester county, Pennsylvania, USA , d. 1770 (Age 83 years)|
| ||4. William Cloud, b. Oct 24, 1683, Wiltshire, England , d. |
- [S896] Gedcom - Ferguson, Bonnie.
- [S898] Gedcom - Thompson, Linda.
- [S1088] Kernion, George C.H. - Genealogy of the Cloud Family (1924).
- [S1180] Cloud Family, by Potts, Thos. Maxwell, p. 21.
- [S1553] Gedcom - Johnson, Beth.
- [S1571] William Cloud Pennsylvania Proprietor 1682.
- [S1550] Gedcom - Raschke, Elaine.
- [S1560] Gedcom - Schirtzinger, Pat.
- [S1852] Gedcom - Smith, Miriam E.
- [S1853] Gedcom - Goodloe, Carla.
- [S1971] Hughes Harris, Ruth Ann, email to Tom Cloud of Jan 3, 2000.
- [S1561] Cloud/Carter Family Tree, p.3.
- [S2030] Cloud Family Association Journal, Cloud Family Journal (Volumn XIII, #1).
- [S2030] Cloud Family Association Journal, Vol IV, No. 4, p 58.
Philip William Cloud, "The English Ancestry of William Cloud, Immigrant to Pennsylvania.
- [S2030] Cloud Family Association Journal, Vol. XX, Nos. 1 & 2, p 30.
The William Cloud family.
- [S916] Parish Records, Calne, England.
Eight children (6 singles and 1 set of unnamed twins).
- [S916] Parish Records, Calne, Wiltshire, England.
Date and place. License issued this date by Bishop of Salisbury.
- [S2030] Cloud Family Association Journal, 17.
Date and place.