1819 - 1875 (56 years)
||Joseph W. Francis |
||Rhea county, Tennessee, USA
||Texas, USA [4, 5]
- The children for this family deduced from census records (and assume that the Joseph and Mary Francis of the 1850 and the 1860 Austin County censii are the same people.)
Carol Higginbotham higgie-at-samlink.com> wrote NOV 3, 1999: "from my sources (Grandmother, mother and other family members) Joseph was married before he married Mary. He had at least two children."
1850 Austin Cty TX census, October 3, 1850, p 89 (M432-908, p.89)
James Cloud, 38, M, farmer, 800, GA
Jane Cloud, 38, F, GA
Joseph Francis, 31, M, farmer, TN
Mary Francis, 20, F, AL
George, 11, M ( b. 1839), TX
Susan, 4, F (b. 1846), MO
Jeremiah Cloud, 68, M, farmer, 2000, GA
Elizabeth Cloud, 66, GA
Marion, 21, labourer, ALHH 18
John C. Cloud, 31, M, farmer, GA
Mary Cloud, 32, F, GA
Mary ?J??, 11, TX
Marion, 8, TX
John, 5, TX
Margarette, 2, TX
Miller Francis, 40, farmer, 5950, TN
Nancy Francis, 30?, Ohio
Marguerette, 10, TX
James, 6, TX
Lidia Ann, 4, TX
Elizabeth Francis, 65, VA
Elizabeth F. ?us?, 22, TN
Mary McKey, 21, LA
John Ahrent?, 14, Germany
HH 22 (Oct 3, 1850)
James Francis, 45, county clerk, TN
Claracy Francis, 42, TN
Woodson, 18, labourer, MO
Jonathan, 14, MO
William, 11, MO
James, 6, MO
Narcissa, 17, MO
Missouri, 9, MO
America, 7, MO
Jane, 8/12, TX
Jim Francis wrote regarding the names on the 1850 census:
"The way the children's names are presented in this Census, it's implied that both George and Susan are named Francis and thus are Joseph's children. I believe this is true for Susan, but not for George. I think he is George Cloud, for the following reasons:
1. Joseph's previous marriage (to a Mary C. Early) occurred in Johnson County, MO on March 15, 1843. Susan is young enough to be a child of this marriage, but George is not.
2. Susan is said to have been born in MO, which is where Joseph grew up and married his first wife. George is said to have been born in TX, but there is no evidence that Joseph Francis was in Texas prior to his migration from MO around 1848. According to the 1840 Austin County tax list, the only Francis in the area around 1839 was Joseph's brother Miller.
3. George is not a name which appears in Joseph Francis's ancestry, but it does appear in the Cloud ancestry.
4. In the 1860 Census, there is no George Francis in the area who is of the correct age. There is, however, an HGW Cloud, Jr. living in the James M. & Jane Cloud household who is of the correct age and who does not appear in the 1850 Census.
I believe that the 1860 HGW Cloud, Jr. and the 1850 George “Francis” are the same person and that he is a son of James & Jane Cloud. I think the “Jr” is simply to distinguish him from the older HGW Cloud living in the area."
1860 Austin Co. census:
Joseph Francis 41 Farmer b. Tenn.
Mary J. wife 28 b. Ala.
Jane 7 female b. TX.
Charles E. 6 b. TX.
J.W. 4 b. TX.
M. E. 1 b.TX.
Lura Black wrote NOV 5, 1999
"I believe that Joseph is related in some way to Miller (born abt 1810) Francis and Nancy (born abt 1816) (brother??). Miller and Nancy had at least two children James W (born abt 1844) and Lydia A (born abt 1847). This was from 1860 census, Bellville, Austin, TX"
The 1870 census would indicate that the J stands for John, to wit:
1870 Bellville Austin TX, page 241, dwelling 461 taken 12 Jul 1870
Francis, Joseph 51 TN
Mary Jane 39 AL
Jane 17 TX
Joseph 14 TX
Mary E. 11 TX
John W. 8 TX
James 2 TX
It would appear that Joseph Francis died between the 1870 and 1880 census. 1880 census shows Mary J. Francis, as head of household, with children, Joseph, M. E. and James C., still living at home with her.
||Jul 15, 2009 |
||Woodson Francis, b. Between 1780 and 1790, Virginia, USA , d. Between 1830 and 1840, Missouri, USA (Age ~ 50 years) |
||Elizabeth "Betsy" Henry, b. Abt 1785, Virginia, USA , d. Aug 1853, Austin county, Texas, USA (Age ~ 68 years) |
||Apr 19, 1804
||Roane county, Tennessee, USA
- Lura Black wrote (6-29-2003)
During the 1850 census of Austin County the following were polled between pages 88 - 90. Family number listed first.
14 HGW Cloud & family
15. W. G. Bush/Zillah Bush & Family (think we are related to president??? lol)
16. James Cloud & Virginia Jane McDade Cloud/Joseph Francis and wife, Mary
17. Jeremiah Cloud & Elizabeth
18. John C. Cloud/Mary
19. Mary Olfred (age 62) with possible daughter Harriet, husband and child
20. Miller Francis & family
21. Lucinda Washam & family (Lucinda shown age 45)
22. James Francis & family (James shown age 45)
Here is the census: 1850 census (Austin County, TX, taken 3 Oct
Miller Francis, age: 40, b: TN, farmer
Nancy, wife, age: 36, b: OH
Margarette, age: 10, b: TX
James, age: 6, b: TX
Lidia Ann, age: 4, b: TX
Elizabeth Francis, age: 65, b: VA
(Note: this Elizabeth would apparently be Woodson's widow and Miller's mother.)
Elizabeth F. ?, age: 22, b: TN
Mary McKey, age: 21, b: LA
John Ahrint, age: 14, b: GER.
Lucinda Washam, age: 45, b: TN
John, age: 23, b: MO
Woodson, age: 18, b: MO;
Thomas, age: 15, b: MO
William, age: 13, b: MO
Lafayettt, age: 8, b: MO.
(my note: This John may be the one who married Mary Connolly, daughter of Elizabeth Cloud and Isaac Connolly)
James Francis, age: 45, b: TN
Claracy, age: 42, b: TN
Woodson, age: 18, b: MO
Jonathon, age: 14, b: MO
William, age: 11, b: MO
James, age: 6, b: MO
Narcissa, age: 17, b: MO
Missouri, age: 9, b: MO
America, age: 7, b: MO
Jane, age 8/12, b: TX.
[Must have been confusing to have two boys the same age with the same name living not too far apart...]
||Mary C. Earley, b. Tennessee, USA , d. 1846, Texas, USA |
||Mar 15, 1843
||Johnson county, Missouri, USA
||Mary Jane Josephine Cloud, b. 1832, Alabama, USA , d. Abt 1892, Texas, USA (Age 60 years) |
||Aug 23, 1847
||Austin county, Texas, USA [6, 7]
1860 census, TX, Austin, Travis, p. 43, June 24
enumerated by "Jerry Cloud"
-- HH 329/329
Joseph Francis, 41, M, farmer, $5620, $7400, TN
Mary J, Francis (wife), 28, F, AL
Jane Francis (child), 7, F, TX
Charles C Francis (child), 6, M, TX
Jo(?) W Francis (child), 4, M, TX
M.W. Francis (child), 1, F, TX
Gundy Gonzles, 45, M, laborer, Mexico
| ||1. Jane Edna Francis, b. Dec 23, 1852, d. Apr 18, 1927, Houston, Harris county, Texas, USA (Age 74 years)|
| ||2. Charles E. Francis, b. 1854, Texas, USA , d. Bef 1870 (Age < 15 years)|
| ||3. Joseph W. Francis, b. 1856, Texas, USA , d. |
| ||4. Mary Elizabeth Francis, b. Jan 1859, Texas, USA , d. Bef 1927 (Age ~ 67 years)|
|+||5. John William Francis, b. Jun 24, 1861, Kenney, Austin county, Texas, USA , d. Jun 25, 1904, Talpa, Coleman county, Texas, USA (Age 43 years)|
|+||6. James Cloud Francis, b. Aug 06, 1868, Kenney, Austin county, Texas, USA , d. Jul 05, 1956, Houston, Harris county, Texas, USA (Age 87 years)|
- [S248] Higginbotham, Carol Youngblood, email of 6-19-00.
- [S825] Gedcom - Henry, Judy.
- [S1082] Francis, James, email to Tom Cloud of JUL 26, 2005, and JamesCloudwithAdditions.rtf.
- [S1082] Francis, James, email to Tom Cloud of July 26, 2005.
- [S1992] Francis Family Bible.
- [S216] Austin County records, Marriage records of Austin county.
- [S824] Texas marriage records (online), Dodd, Jordan R, et. al. Early American Marriages: Texas to 1850.
Joseph's surname is transcribed as "FRUNIS".