1749 - Aft 1837 (> 88 years)
||Cornelius Whittington |
||Apr 24, 1749
||Albemarle county, Virginia, USA [12, 13, 14, 15]
||Aft 27 Nov 1837
||Liberty, Amite county, Mississippi, USA [13, 14, 15, 16]
- Lottie Bell Crabb states he died March 27, 1835, but his will was probated in 1838.
Cornelius served in the Revolutionary War and is said to be descended from King Edward III, Knights of the Garter, Knights of the Bath, and from the Thirteen Sureites for the Magna Charta of A.D. 1215.
He was born in Virginia but had moved to South Carolina by the time his oldest son, James, was born in 1777. He enlisted in the Revolutionary War in 1776 and served one year as a private in Capt. James Thompson's Company, Colonel Bull's South Carolina Regiment. He moved to Georgia and served in Colonel James Jackson's Regiment. Then, returning to South Carolina, he served under both Colonel Hammond and General Williamson. Afterwards, he marched into the Cherokee Nation under Colonel Picken's Regiment.
He lived for awhile in both Richmond and Hancock counties, Georgia, but came to Amite County, Mississippi circa 1800. In 1831/33 he was granted a pension of $60 per year for his services in the Revolutionary War. His will, of record in the Amite County Chancery Clerk's Office at Liberty, Mississippi, was probated in 1838/9.
The book "Early Inhabitants of the Natchez District" by Norman E. Gillis, notes two Cornelius Whittingtons -- on p. 78, "Inhabitants of the Natchez District -- 1810" (except Wilkinson County, which is for 1805):
... a Cornelius is listed in Wilkinson county, 2 males, 2 males over 21 and 4 females under 21; and
... a Cornelius is listed in Amite county, 1 male, 1 male over 21and 1 female under 21.
In the same book, p. 112, "Inhabitants of the Natchez District -- 1816", a Cornelius is listed in Amite county as a head of family.
Other Whittington's listed by this book in the Natchez district, 1810 & 1816 are:
(Wilkinson): Garett & James; (Claiborne & Warren): Grief; (Adams): Levi; (Amite): Aaron, Gerrard, James, John, Moses & Richard. .... and 1816 are: (Adams): Levi; (Amite): Aaron, Garett, Evan, Gerard, Grief, James, James, John & Moses.
||Aug 3, 2006 |
||John Whittington, b. 1724, Albemarle county, Virginia, USA , d. Albemarle county, Va ? |
||Sarah Woodroffe, b. Abt 1724, Surrey county, Virginia, USA , d. |
- Albemarle church records confirm that Cornelius, Richard and Ephraim were brothers.
||Rebecca Gilliam, b. 23 Nov 1754 OR 1750, Albemarle county, Virginia, USA , d. Nov 1837, Amite county, Mississippi, USA (Age 87 years) |
||Abt 23 Nov 1774 [13, 14, 15]
|+||1. James A. Whittington, b. Abt 1775, Cheraw District, South Carolina, USA , d. 1838, Amite county, Mississippi, USA (Age ~ 63 years)|
|+||2. John Whittington, b. Abt 1779, SC or Georgia, USA , d. Abt 1837, Amite or Scott county, Mississippi, USA (Age ~ 58 years)|
|+||3. Mary Louisa (?Polly) Whittington, b. Abt 1781, Georgia, USA , d. Abt 1863, Amite county, Mississippi, USA (Age ~ 82 years)|
|+||4. Aaron Whittington, b. Abt 1783, Georgia, USA , d. Aft 1860, Leake county, Mississippi, USA (Age ~ 78 years)|
|+||5. Winneford "Winnie" Whittington, b. Abt 1784, Georgia, USA , d. |
|+||6. Moses Whittington, b. Abt 1788, Georgia, USA , d. 1850, ? Amite county, Mississippi, USA (Age ~ 62 years)|
|+||7. Sarah Whittington, b. Abt 1791, Wilkes county, Georgia, USA , d. Bef 4 Sep 1849, Scott county, Mississippi, USA (Age ~ 58 years)|
|+||8. Susannah Whittington, b. 1793, Richmond / Hancock county, Georgia, USA , d. Aft 1860, Amite county, Mississippi, USA (Age > 68 years)|
|+||9. Rebecca Whittington, b. Abt 1795, Washington, Georgia, USA , d. |
|+||10. Elam Whittington, b. Abt 1798, Georgia, USA , d. |
|+||11. [son] Whittington, d. |
- [S874] Gedcom - Sherlock, Barbara.
- [S120] Whittingtons Here & There, ch. 6.
- [S177] Family Records -- Mississippi Revolutionary Soldie, pp. 332-335.
- [S178] Early Inhabitants of the Natchez District, pp. 78, 112.
- [S179] The Order of the First Families of Mississippi 169, pp. 85-86.
- [S182] Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American, pp. 988-989.
- [S251] Genealogy of Wilkinson and Kindred Families, p. 406.
- [S158] Whittington Family, The.
- [S606] Gedcom - Miley, Karell.
- [S605] Genealogy of Richard Whittington.
- [S1009] Register of Albemarle Parish, Surry and Sussex Counties Virginia 1738-1778.
- [S1880] Revolutionary War Pension & Bounty Land Grant Applications, Roll 865, image 205, file S7892.
Pension application of Cornelius Whittington, Nov. 20, 1833
- [S140] DAR Application, Index for Patriots.
- [S177] Family Records -- Mississippi Revolutionary Soldie, p. 332-335.
- [S179] The Order of the First Families of Mississippi 169, p. 85-86.
- [S120] Whittingtons Here & There.