Matches 17,901 to 17,950 of 18,083
|| Linked to
||WILLIAM HELMS, 15 Dec 1909, Feb 1987, LR 95531 (Crescent City, Del Norte, CA), 542-09-5162O, issued CA ||Helms, William Earl (I83001)
||William Henry married Emily ?? and had two daughters, Olivia and Caroline. He moved from Blakely as a young man and lived in Albany, Columbus, and Atlanta.|
?Name: Henry Strickland
Age in 1910: 30
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Home in 1910: 1-Wd Griffin, Spalding, Georgia
|Strickland, William Henry (I103611)
||William Hoffman was born in Austin County, Texas in the Buckhorn area where his father had bought land. He moved to Bellville near the yards and he and his wife Emma rented out rooms in their home. This home burned and so they moved to Brownwood, Texas where they lived at his death. In Brownwood, Mr. Hoffman did odd jobs and carried a pistol in his boot which went off and shot him in the foot. He was a tall man and loved to fish and read western novels.|
|Hoffman, William Henry (I25787)
||WILLIAM HOOKS, 03 Jun 1891, Apr 1975, LR 77656 (Silsbee, Hardin, TX), 459-01-3141, issued TX ||Hooks, William (I46071)
||WILLIAM I GOINS, 13 Nov 1942, 13 Oct 1998, LR 77360 (Onalaska, Polk, TX), 451-68-0944, issued TX ||Goins, William Ira (I36656)
||William Jessup Cloud was born in Jackson County, AL in 1843. His parents, John Franklin and Eliza Cloud, lived on a farm in Doran's Cove in north Jackson County near the Tennessee State line.|
William was eighteen years old when the Civil War began in 1861. A Confederate army recruiter and native son of Jackson County, Lieutenant Colonel John H. Norwood, came to Stevenson, Alabama in September, 1861, to recruit men for the war. William volunteered and was sent to Camp Cheatham, Tennessee, where he was sworn in by Colonel W. A. Quarles on October 31, 1861. He was assigned as a private to Company "E" of the 42nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment. The Regiment was made up of five Tennessee Companies and five Alabama Companies. William enlisted on the same date and was assigned to the same regiment as John C. Shirley of Jackson County, AL. They served together, were captured together, were both prisoners of war at Camp Douglas, IL and were both exchanges at the same time. Both were among the 1,181 men exchanged on board the Steamer John H. Done, near Vicksburg, MS, September 20, 1852. After the exchange, both men enlisted in the AL 55th Infantry Regiment in Port Hudson, LA. Both were made Sergeants in Company "F", AL 55th.
Shortly after the organization of the Regiment, it was sent to Camp Duncan, Clarksville, Tennessee. There it became a part of Major General William J. Hardee’s Brigade. From Clarksville, the Regiment was ordered to Fort Donelson, Tennessee, on February 12, 1862. Fort Donelson was located on the bank of the Cumberland river between Clarksville and Nashville. The Regiment moved down the river by steamer and arrived at Fort Donelson on February 13, 1862. General Grant and his Union army had already begun the attack against the fort. The 42nd Regiment marched directly off the boat to the support of the 30th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, which was resisting repeated charges by the Union troops.
There followed three days of fierce battle, sometimes progressing to hand-to-hand combat. The Confederate forces won the fight on the third day, but because of the timidity and rivalry of two Confederate Generals, Floyd and Pillow, the Confederates surrendered to Grant on February 16, 1862. It was left to General Simon B. Buckner to negotiate the surrender because Generals Floyd and Pillow had stolen out of the fort and across the Cumberland river during the night. Major Cheairs, who was to lead the surrender party, questioned the proper bugle call for a parley since no one had any previous experience with a surrender. A thoroughly irritated Colonel Brown turned to the regimental band bugler of the 3rd Tennessee and told him to blow every bugle call he knew, "and if that wouldn’t do, to blow his damned brains out." Tempers were very short in the Confederate lines that morning. General Grant made the comment during the surrender negotiations that had he captured General Pillow he would have turned the Tennessean loose, for "I would rather have him in command of you fellows than as a prisoner."
The Confederate soldiers, numbering about 20,000 and including William Cloud, were loaded aboard steamers and sent down the river to Cairo, Illinois. There they were loaded on trains and taken to Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois. William spent eight months as a Prisoner of War in Camp Douglas. Many of the soldiers died of various diseases during the eight months of captivity.
William was one of the prisoners exchanged during the Federal/Confederate prisoner exchange held on board the Steamer John H. Done in the middle of the Mississippi river at Vicksburg, Mississippi, on September 20, 1862. William rejoined his Regiment at Port Hudson, Louisiana. There the Alabama soldiers declared they would no longer serve under Tennessee officers. The surrender at Fort Donelson had left a bad taste in their mouths. As a result of their rebellion, the Alabama companies were pulled out of the 42nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment and, under the leadership of now Colonel Jonathan H. Norwood, were made a part of the Alabama 55th Infantry Regiment. William was promoted to Sergeant, Company "F", Alabama 55th Regiment.
The Regiment fought in the East Louisiana campaign in early 1863. They were in the battle at Champion Hill on May 16, 1863. The Regiment retreated to Jackson, Mississippi, where it camped for some time.
The Regiment fought in the Meridian, Mississippi campaign during February and March of 1864. They were then sent to help defend Atlanta when General Sherman and his Federal forces began their attacks against that city. The Alabama 55th Infantry Regiment was in the battle of New Hope Church during May 25 to June 4, 1864.
On Wednesday morning, May 25, when Hooker’s corps reached Dallas, Georgia, in the lead, an unpleasant surprise was waiting. As usual, Joseph Johnston had exercised what Sherman later referred to as his "lynx-eyed watchfulness." Alerted at Allatoona by his cavalry that Sherman was up to his old flanking tricks, Johnston had responded by sidestepping in a southwesterly direction with his entire army. His new line occupied some low wooded ridges, extending from a mile south of Dallas to a crossroads about four miles northeast of town at a Methodist meetinghouse called New Hope Church.
Around 10 A.M. on Wednesday, Joseph Hooker’s leading division, under Brigadier General John Geary, was advancing southeast on a road that led to New Hope Church when it encountered two regiments of Alabama and Louisiana men. Geary soon learned that Hood’s entire corps was entrenched near the church. Rifle pits were augmented by log traverses. From the redoubts, marksmen kept up harassing fire on the enemy. One section of the line was called "The Hell Hole." Bullets and canister rushed through like a storm wind. About 4 p.m. on May 25th the battle was joined between the two forces. About 7 p.m., the darkening sky erupted. Thunder and lightning outmatched the roar and flash of guns. Then, a downpour literally drowned out the Battle of New Hope Church.
William J. Cloud was wounded during the battle. He was taken to Erwin Field Hospital, Kingston, Georgia, where he died on August 4, 1864. Rex Miller’s "The Forgotten Regiment" contains this curt message, "CLOUD, William J., Sgt., Co. F (Enlisted, 31 Oct. ‘61, Camp Cheatham; died, 4 Aug. ‘64, Erwin Hospital , GA; left $8)".
Sources:: Jackson County, AL., 1850 census and 1860 census, p 363.
Eliza B. Woodall, "The Stevenson Story", The College Press, 1982, p 75.
National Archives, Confederate Archives, Roll 64, Sheet 47 and Roll 68, Sheet 4.
National Archives, Confederate Archives, Chapter 10, File No. 2, pp 57-58 and File No. 21, p
The Civil War Centennial Commission, "Tennesseans in the Civil War, Part I," 1964, pp
Benjamin Franklin Cooling, "Forts Henry and Donelson," The University of Tennessee Press, 1987.
Stewart Sifakis, "Compendium of the Confederate Armies, Alabama Regimental Histories",
Ronald H. Bailey, "Battle for Atlanta", Time-Life, 1985, pp 16, 17, 51-53.
Rex Miller, "The Forgotten Regiment", Morningside Bookstore, Dayton, OH., (1984).
|Cloud, William Jesop (I86680)
||William Joshua "Billy" Spears, was born in Louisiana in 1846. His daughter, Nettie Spears, married James B. Shoemake, a minister in DeRidder, La., in 1890.|
|Spears, Nancy Brazile "Nettie" (I146839)
||William Jr, after his marriage he settled on a land grant of 400 acres near New Salem, North Carolina. He crossed the Great Smokey Mountains in 1792 and settled on a tract of land in northwestern Tennessee, near Morriston (3 miles NW). The site of his dwelling commanded a view of the Clinch Mountains 10 miles north, and the Great Smokey Mountains 40 miles south. The lands are somewhat hilly, but overlook the fertile valley near at hand. There is a cool spring of limestone water on the east and a stream winds down to mingle with other spring streams on there way to the Great Holston river. From "Posterity of William Millikan" by G. T. Ridlon: William Millikan, second son of William Millikan, was born in Chester Co., PA, as early as 1754, was but four years of age when his parents removed to Rowan Co., NC. He married Aug 10, 1776, Eleanor Smith of Guilford Co., NC., and settled on a grant of 400 acres, not far distant from New Salem, where he was employed as farmer, blacksmith, and land surveyor; and some old "land plats" and "field notes", still in the family, show that he was a scientific man.|
He crossed the Great Smokey mountains in 1792 and settled on a tract of land in northwestern Tennessee, near Morristown, (three miles NW) and the site of his dwelling commanded a view of the Clinch Mountains ten miles north, and the great Smokey mountains forty miles south. The lands are somewhat hilly, but overlook a fertile valley near at hand. There is a cool spring of limestone water on the east and a rill winds down to mingle with other spring-streams on their way to the great Holston river.
His house was built of large chestnut logs, hewed square, and was on the ground plan 20 x 30 feet, two stories, with a large cellar underneath. There were also two porches of two stories on the north and south sides, and the large chimneys were laid up with limestone rock. A spacious building of one room, used for a kitchen and dining room stood near the principal dwelling. Some parts of this house has stood the wear and tear of time more than a hundred years, and may still be seen.
William Millikan, Jr. remained on his farm until the death of his wife, Feb 5, 1837, but spent his last days in the home of his son-in-law, Jesse Howell, where he died aged 84 years. They were buried in the Economy grave yard not a distant from there home but no inscribed monuments mark their place of rest, only rude natural stones. He was a man of enormous size, not weighing not less than 300 pounds. His eyes were blue, his hair rather light, and his complexion fair and rather florid.
Mr. Millikan was not known to have used the land surveyor's instrument after his settlement in Tennessee, but he had a blacksmith's and gunsmith's shop near his house, where he made farm implements and guns, and did some work as a silversmith. A coin silver sleeve button made by him is now owned by John S. Howell, his grandson. He also owns and uses a large arm chair once owned by this William Millikan. The sturdy posts are of sugar wood, nicely turned, and the rungs of the best hickory, the seat is of split white oak. William and Eleanor had thirteen children.
From the book "Jefferson Co., TN Family & History 1792-1996:
William Millikan Jr, second son of William Sr., removed to Jefferson County, Tennessee in 1792. His wife was Eleanor Smith whom he had married in Guilford County, North Carolina in 1776.
William Jr., was a 300-pound blacksmith. He was also a gunsmith, which seems an odd occupation for a pacifist Quaker. Wife Eleanor died in 1837. William Millikan Jr., died in 1838, age about eighty-four. They both are buried at Economy Cemetery in what is now Morristown.
The children of William Millikan Jr., and Eleanor were as follows: David, Eli, Solomon, Elihu, Alexander, William, Samuel, George, Hannah and Eleanor. William and Eleanor's son Elihu Millikan would become on of Jefferson County's early leaders.
|Millikan, William Jr. (I106166)
||William lived in Florida and Georgia before moving to Texas in 1849. He settled on his survey in 1852.|
|Hooks, William R. "Billy" "Pap" (I5220)
||William M. SNODDY & Evaline CLOUD; Franklin, Indiana; FHL film # 476730 ||Family F67530
||William Madison and Elizabeth New were first cousins.|
||William Marshall owned a restaurant.|
From WORLD WAR I CIVILIAN DRAFT REGISTRATIONS; Latah County, Idaho - 1917-1918:
(name, birth date, race, birthplace, place of registration)
Seybold, William Marshal, born 10 Jun 1873 W, (birthplace not given), registered at Latah, ID
|Seybold, William Marshall (I3657)
||William McCrary was the son of Bartley McCrary. He died in 1819 and was from Wilkinson Co GA and later from Baldwin Co. GA William married Mary McCrary. About 1827 the orphans of William McCrary with their mother and her new husband William Durdan migrated to Talbot Co.|
Chidren of William and Mary:
Jonathan Bartley 1810-1872
Martha Ann 1812-1887 m. Hope Hull Hammock 1806-1855
Thomas Kenion 1814-1855
|McCrary, William (I24708)
||William McFadin was the eldest son of John [Stephen] McFadin. William, along with his father, were in Joseph Chapline's Company of the Maryland Militia in Frederick county ca. 1764. source #1> In 1766, he and his father, together with his brother Samuel, signed a petition for a road to be laid out in Frederick county, Maryland.|
The extended family of John [Stephen] McFadin moved to old Tryon county, NC, ca. 1766. However, William's presence in that area cannot be conclusively proven. Neither can his continued presence in Maryland or his possible presence in South Carolina as some believe, or other parts of North Carolina.
Although William is said to have served in the Revolutionary War, it is not definitive which unit he served with.
Shortly after 1783, William joined his brothers, Andrew, John, and James and removed to the area of the Red River in eastern Tennessee county, North Carolina (in the area later to become Montgomery county, Tennessee). James and Andrew surveyed several roads and William returned to Tryon county and brought out his family, settling in Kentucky after 1785 on the Big Barren River about ten miles from Andrew McFaddin's station which was some four miles from present Bowling Green. The name and dates of his first wife are unknown.
On October 2, 1790, William and Andrew signed a petition to the General Assembly of Virginia to establish a court nearer the settlers, as the Indians made it dangerous to travel.
In 1806, with his brother Andrew and nephew Andrew, son of Elias, William and his family were among the earliest of pioneers to arrive in Posey county, Indiana, where they were met upon landing by General William Henry Harrison and his men. The McFadins founded the settlement of McFadin's Bluff on the Ohio River, later to become Mt. Vernon, Indiana.
In a court suit filed in Warren county, Kentucky, after his death William's wife Rachel is named. The children named are as follows: Mary, John, William Jr., Noah, Katherine, Squire, Andrew, Elizabeth, Rebecca, and James. The children are not named in order; but also omitted from this lawsuit were minors, Martha, Gouvenor, and Lucinda.
Son John was appointed guardian of his minor brothers and sisters after Rachel's death.
1. 1732-1774 Colonial Soldiers of the South, by Murtie Clark, Genealogical Publishing county, Inc., Baltimore, Maryland, (1983).
2. The John Stephen McFadin Family of North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, and Kansas, by Maude McFaddin, Minnonite Press, Newton, Kansas.
3. The McFadden Family 1700-1998, A Biographical Account of John McFadden and His Descendants, by Etta R. (McFadden) Otto, pub. by Lennis McFadden, Rochester, NY (1998). [David McFadden email 5/5/00]
|McFadin, William (I43495)
||William Millikan married and removed to the west. He was not mentioned in his father's will.|
|Millikan, William (I106174)
||William moved to Independence Co., AR in 1847.|
|Sharp, William H. (I51523)
||William Neville was he first of his family in the county. His land was located on the borders of the Isle of Wight and Nansemond. In March 1642-43 the General Assembly enacted that the boundaries of Isle of Wight "shall extend from the main river into the woods southerly un to and including the plantations of William Neville and Robert Pitt." In 1643 Captain J0hn Upton patented land next to him.|
William Neville was dead before the 25th April 1665 for on that date Roger Neville sold to Arthur Skinner, his father-in-law, "all claims to the estate of William Neville my father." On May 16, 1665, John Neville of Nasemond sold to Arthur Skinner 125 acres.
From "Some Isle of Wight Families, Virginia" by John Bennett Boddie, pages 235 .
John Bennett Boddie's Historical Southern Families, Vol. II, p. 149 and 150: "William Neville, first of his family in Virginia..on borders of Isle of Wight and Nansemond. In March 1642-43 the General Assembly enacted that the boundaries of Isle of Wight shall extend from the main river into the woods southerly into and including the plantations of William Neville and Robert Pitt...William Neville had two sons, Roger and JOHN Neville [actually, Boddie shows proof only for Roger]...Roger seemingly moved to Nansemond...disappears from Isle of Wight records from 1672 until 1704 when he was holding 200 acres of land in the Quit Rents of that year...JOHN Neville [Roger's apparent brother] m. Elizabeth Reynolds...In 1665, JOHN Neville of Nansemond, planter, and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to John Marshall of Isle of Wight for 1000 lbs. of tbco. 400 acres granted Mar. 6 to Henry Bradley and Bradley sold to Neville Feb. 2, 1663. Recorded in Nansemond, John Lear, Clerk. Recorded in Isle of Wight, John Jennings, Clerk...
REF: AM Origins by David B Trimble
Nevills in OR County, North Carolina & Coffee County, TN
William Nevill,was probably the first of this family in America.He lived in Isle of Wight County,Va.ca1642/1643 He died before 1665. Fact-Land located on border of Nansemond and Isle of Wight Counties
Marriage 1 Lydia b: Abt 1615
Note: Reference Number:49324
Married: Abt 1639
1. John Neville b: 1640 in Isle Of Wight County, Virginia Formed 1637 From Warrosquyouke County formed in 634
2. Roger Neville b: Abt 1642 in Nansemond County, Virginia (Later Perquimans County, North Carolina 1689)
1.Abbrev: Jeannie Alyce Woodruff Scarlett JScarl1070@aol.com>
Publication: 11602 Norton
2.Abbrev: Seventeenth Century Isle of Wight
Author: John Bennett Boddie
3.Abbrev: Historical Southern Families Vol.2 by John Bennett Boddie
Title: Historical Southern Families Vol.2 by John Bennett Boddie
Page: Page 149
4.Abbrev: Renwick Morgan Neville, firstname.lastname@example.org>
Publication: 351 Central Park Place
Brentwood, CA. 94513
|Neville, William (I100222)
||William O'Neal from The Heritage of Johnston County North Carolina 1985 published by The Heritage of Johnston County Book Committee in cooperation with The History Division Hunter Publishing Company, Winston-Salem, North Carolina|
William O'Neal born 15 April 1782 was the son of Micajah and Alsabeth (Richardson?) O'Neal. There is a marriage bond 21 January 1768 Johnston County of Micajah O'Neal to Clarency (Clary) Richardson. Seems he was married twice, perhaps to sisters, When Micajah died in 1787, William Richardson was appointed administrator of Estate and guardian of the children: Penelopia, William, Zacheriah and Nancy O'Neal. Later Alsabeth married #2, 15 February 1792, Johnston County top William Earp, who was of Wake County, and had children: Unity and Littleberry Earp. By May 1794 William Earp was deceased and Unity chose Lewis Bryan for guardian and Littleberry chose Cullen Earp for guardian. Later Burwell Earp was guardian of both children until 1806 when William O'Neal took over the guardianship of both children bondsmen were Simon Price and William Hinton.
William and his brother Zachariah petitioned for the division of lands of their deceased father, Micajah, on 23 August 1803. Zachariah received the mansion, plantation, 550 acres on both sides of Little River near Wake County line. He moved to Wake County and sold his land in the area which later was known as Earpsboro to Littleberry Earp, his half brother. William's share of estate was 313 acres on both sides of Cattail Swamp adjoining lands of Josiah Houlder. All of Willima's land today is O'Neals Township, Johnston County.
On 1 December 1801 William O'Neal married Serena (Rene) Hinton with Bryant Richardson as bondsman. He and Rene had seven children: (1( Obedience (Beady) O'Neal married James Bunn and children were: Rowena, Martha, Sidney. Benjamin, William, Serena, Piety, James, Demeris, Armenia, Narcissa, Lourinda and Cade. D. Bunn. (2) Nancy Hinton O'Neal married Bennett Bunn. Bennett was brother to James Bunn and sons of Benjamin Bunn of Wake County. Children of Benjmain Bunn and Nancy were; Truitt, Hewel, Hinton, Troy, Penina who married Chris Brantley and Nancy A. Bunn who married Edward Harris Kemp. The Bennett Bunn two story house restored by great-granddaughter Grace Kilkelly of Zebulon is located at intersection of Highway 97 and Road #2320 Wake County. The family (3) John Bryant O'Neal married two times. Marriage #1 9 Decmeber1826 Johnston Co. to Phereby Pool, had three children: Oris W., Simon S., married Luray Ann Ferrell and Martha O'Neal married married Thomas J. Ferrell. Bryant married #2 Julia Ann Whitley and had one child: John Bryant Jr. After Bryant died, Julia Ann O'Neal married James W. Jeffreys and had children: James, Julius, Mollie, Needham and Josiah Jeffreys. (4) Marilda (Reldy) O'Neal married Freeman Chamblee, children: Anne, William, Stephen, John, Hiram and Lucinda Chamblee. (5) Martha O'Neal married 29 July to Alsey Earp. Alsey died without a will in 1846. No children mentioned. She later married a Gardner, a marriage which was also childless. (6) Piety O'Neal married Hutson Bailey, children: Caroline, Rowan, Serena and Rhode Bailey. Possibly there were other children. (7) William Hinton O'Neal married three times, first to Sally Hare, second to marry Eveline Robertson and third to Nellie O'Neal)
William died 8 May 1844 and his wife Serena (Hinton) O'Neal born 22 December 1780, died 26 September 1840. Descendants of the family state that both were buried in the cemetery on the mansion plantation which son William Hinton O'Neal inherited.
William deeded land to his children prior to death, and after his death 15 slaves were divided among his heirs, namely: Simon, Eli, Harkliss, Braddock, Dorcas, Tildia, Mary, John, Jordon, Guilford, Hardy, Julia, Monroe, Nancy and Westley.
Sources: Family Bible records, census, deeds, and division books, marriage records and family information, Johnston Co. court minutes by Mrs. Mary Williamson Warrick
|O'Neal, William (I102701)
||William O. CLOUD and Lucy BOURNE. ||Family F66036
||William Oliver Roach came to Van Buren County, Arkansas from Kentucky in 1885. He had been contracted to teach school at Formosa in the winter months and at the Possum Walk School in the summer.|
While staying at the Davis Hotel, William met Martha Jane Potter and married her June 22, 1885. William homestead 50 acres of land south of Clinton, between the bend of the river, on both sides of what is now Highway 65.
In the winter of 1892 while teaching school at Formosa, William was caught in a snowstorm while returning home on horse back and contracted pneumonia, dying a few days later.
|Roach, William Oliver (I107684)
||William R. Andrews, 525-56-1931, LR 87823 Lemitar, Socorro, NM, Jan 2, 1919, Apr 10, 1994, issued NM ||Andrews, William Ray (I94928)
||William R. Cloud was arrested for murder July 7, 1871 - Cherokee County Georgia|
Cherokee County Ga Archives News - Georgia - by Rufus B. Bullock, Governor of said state July 7, 1871 (contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Linda Murray)
Marietta Journal; July 7, 1871
Whereas, There is now pending in the Superior Court of Cherokee County, a bill of indictment, charging James B. Cloud, William Cloud, and George P. McCraw, alias Lafayette McCraw, with the crime of murder, alleged to have been committed upon the body of Jerry Garrison in said county of Cherokee,and Whereas, the said James B. Cloud, William Cloud, and George P. McCrae have been arrested and confined under said charge, and subsequently made their escape from jail by breaking therefrom, and are now at large, greatly to the danger of the peace and good order of the community. Now, therefore, in order to bring them to a speedy trial for the crime with which they stand charged, I have thought proper to issue this, my proclamation, hereby offering a reward of two thousand dollars each, for the apprehension and delivery of said James B. Cloud, William Cloud, and George P. McCraw to the Sheriff of Cherokee County. Given under my hand and the great seal of the state, at the capitol in Atlanta, this 12th day of May, in the year of our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Seventy One and of the Independence of the United States of America, the Ninety-fifth.
- RufusB. Bullock.
Additional Comments: From Deaths reported in Cobb County, Georgia, newspapers - Volume I - 1868-1879
|Cloud, William R. (I68661)
||William S. Oxendine, born January 5, 1826, submitted an application to claim Indian status. He lists his parents as Levi and Clara Haynes Oxendine, and states he was born in Overton County, Tennessee and his grandparents are Archibald and Patsy Shoemake Oxendine and William and Martha Haynes all born in South Carolina.|
|Shoemake, Martha F. "Patsy" (I146573)
||William S. Oxendine, born January 5, 1826, submitted an application to claim Indian status. He lists his parents as Levi and Clara Haynes Oxendine, and states he was born in Overton County, Tennessee and his grandparents are Archibald and Patsy Shoemake Oxendine and William and Martha Haynes all born in South Carolina.|
1880 census, AL, Jackson, ed 101-108, (T9-0016, p.87C)
Wm Oxendine, head, M, MU 57, TN, TN, SC, farmer
Malinda Shoemake, F, MU, 55, TN, SC, SC
Elmira Smith, F, W 45, laborer
Dysa Hale, F, W 40, TN, TN, TN, laborer
Louiza Hale, F, W 26, TN, TN, TN, laborer
Martha Hale, F, W 20, TN, TN, TN, laborer
Andrew Smith, M, W 11, TN, TN, TN, laborer
|Oxendine, William (I146595)
||William served in the Confederate Army with Co. F, 10th Georgia Cavalry.|
|Fargason, William J. (I139462)
||WILLIAM STURROCK & MARY PETRIE|
William was a Weaver of Guildy, born on 18th September 1798 in Guildy, to ALEXANDER STURROCK & MARGARET -.
He first married ANN LUMGAIR on 7th June 1827 - they had 7 children.
He then married MARY PETRIE on 26th June 1870 - they had 6 children.
He died on 22nd July 1874 at Braefoot, Carnoustie, Angus.
In later years he lived at the keeper's house of the Panmure Testimonial.
I am informed by an ancestor, "I think the above William married Mary Petrie before the birth of their first son. I refer you to that son's diary "The Diary of John Sturrock" edited by Christopher A. Whately of Dundee University.)
From the same ancestor, a copy letter.) - "I have done some research into John Sturrock (1840), and have pleasure in forwarding it to you."
"The Diary of John Sturrock" Page 8 - He was born at Guildy Monikie on 8 November 1840 and baptised on 31 December 1840. His father was William Sturrock (18 Sept 1798) a Hand Loom Weaver at Guildy, before moving to (the keeper's house at) Panmure Testimonial probably when his eyesight failed. Both his grandfather Alexander and his great grandfather James were linen handloom weavers at Guildy. There is a gravestone (t10) in Monikie Kirkyard 1800 erected by Alexander Sturrock, Weaver of Guildy, in honour of his father, James, and his mother, Isobel Mill. Modified by Margaret, maiden surname Sturrock, on the death of Alexander.
His (John Sturrock's) maternal grandfather was a tenant at Mill of Lour (near Forfar).
This removes the first discrepancy simply replacing paternal by maternal.
John?s father William, was first married on 7 June 1827 to Ann Lumgair. They had the following family; Alexander 1828, James 1829, Clementina 1830, David 1832, Andrew 1834, William Fairly 1836, Robert 1837. (The Fairly or Fairlie surname figures prominently in the annals of Monikie history.)
William remarried on 26th June 1840 to Mary Petrie from Mill of Lour. They had six children; John 1840, Anne 1842, George 1845, Isabella 1847, Elizabeth 1849, Mary 1851.
William refers to transgression in his letter to David in America, the cause is evident above, when he remarried he had children from Ann Lumgair aged 12, 11, 10, 8, 6, 4, and 3.
On 6 December 1867, John married Ann Sturrock, in the 1881 census they are shown as living at Kerrystone, Murroes (a parish to the west of Monikie). He describes himself as a joiner journeyman, they have two of a family Margaret P. Sturrock
|Sturrock, William (I92462)
||William Sturrock may have been born in Monikie Parish, Angus Co., Scotland, the son of William, tenant in Lukeslap, and Isobel Mudie (Moody) Sturrock (Storrock). Monikie is next to Murroes and close to the Mill of Brighty.|
Col. William F. Gray wrote in his diary: "Sunday, January 24, 1836 ....Fell in with a Scotch family, Wm. Sturrock, with his wife and two sons, lads, his son-in-law, Robert Galletley, wife, and several fine hearty looking children. They emigrated from Scotland to New York two years ago, tried Canada, found it too cold, lived one year in the interior of New York; at length got some scrip from the "Galveston Bay and Texas Land Co.," in New York, for which they paid ten cents per acre. They have wended their way this far towards Texas, and are wating here until spring opens, when they mean to go over. Sturrock is a carpenter, Galletly a farmer. They have gone to housekeeping and working at the carpenter's trade. The old man says he and his boys are now earning $3 per day. They are very decent people; belonging to the Kirk of Scotland; have some good books; among them saw Henry's Commentary. They will make valuable citizens of any country."
(It is not known where they were when this encounter occurred, though it was likely in Louisiana.)
(Col. Gray's diary -- From Virginia to Texas, 1835; Diary of Col. Wm. F. Gray; Gray, Dillaye & Co., Printers; Houston, Texas 1909; Reprinted by Fletcher Young Publishing Co. 1965.)
Scott Sturrock wrote: "Wm. Sturrock had two brothers: John and James (my forebear) they hit Texas about 1833 out of Dundee, Scotland. James had about 10 kids and most of the males ended up named after American presidents. I come down from George Washington Sturrock. James served in a local Confederate home guard unit in the War between the States. .... Simon Weiss and Wm. Sturrock at one time owned the Old Stone Fort in Nacogdoches which is now a state historical site.
They lived near Colmesneil, also known as Colmesneil Junction, which is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 69 and Farm Road 256, nine miles north of Woodville in north central Tyler County. The current town was consolidated from two towns - Ogden and Colmesneil. The two towns had a long-standing feud, largely between the Manns and Sturrocks of Colmesneil and the Ogdens and Campbells of Ogden. They were brought together under the single name of Colmesneil in early 1888.
Olga Sturrock Prior wrote: "The Sturrock family probably left from Greenock, Glascow's port, about 1830 because during the "Clearances" most Scots embarked from there when they came to the U.S. The trip probably took around six weeks; and family tradition remembers James as having said he celebrated his ninth birthday on the ship, which would have been October 19, 1830. Lack of proof causes us to not know whether the mother and father William & Ann (Swan) Sturrock came with the children. We do know that the eldest sister, Agnes, who was already married to Robert Gellaty, was the guardian of the two youngest brothers, James and John, as they went to Sabine County Texas with her, where they grew up.
Isobel, the second oldest, was evidently engaged to John Ferguson at the time they came to the U.S. Records in Argyll County Scotland show a marriage bond or proclamation between John and Isobel, but the records of the Dutch Reformed Protestant Church in Schuylerville, Saratoga County, New York, show that they were married in the home o the widow of Gen. DeRidder. There is also a record of a Betsey Sturrock marrying a Charles Dallas at the same place. The Fergusons went to Red Oak, Iowa, where they are both buried.
Robert and Agnes Gellatly, Margaret, William, James, and John Sturrock headed south. They may have traveled overland or they may have gone by boat to New Orleans, then up the Red River to Natchitoches, LA. According to some family members, James is said to have recalled hearing Niagara Falls on the trip. If so, they would have had to travel across New York State on the Erie Canal, then down the Mississippi River. While in Natchitoches, Margaret married Simon Wiess, a Polish Jew who was at that time a Customs Agent for the government of Santa Anna, dictator of Mexico and Texas. Simon owned several ships, and it could have been one of his ships that brought the Sturrock family to their new home.
This group then went to Nacogdoches, TX where they settled into businesses. Simon owned a store at the Old Stone Fort, a house and two lots. In about 1838 Simon and Margaret sold their property to William Sturrock and his bride Cynthia Frisby and moved a raft of cotton to Beaumont. William and Cynthia stayed about another year, selling to Robert and Agnes Gellatly and moved to Billums Creek, north of Colmesneil, Tyler County and started a mill. Robert and Agnes later moved near Milam, Sabine county, Texas.
There is a Texas Historical marker (# 11454) (that is no longer there) for the Sturrock Cemetery in Rockland, Texas that reads: "This family cemetery, characteristic of southern folk burial customs, is the final resting place for members of the extended Sturrock family and their neighbors. Brothers John and William Sturrock, along with their brother, sisters, and brother-in-law, left their native Scotland for the United States in 1830 and eventually settled in East Texas. William purchased a tract of land here along the Neches River at the mouth of Billums Creek, where he built a mill operation that included a gristmill, sawmill, and cotton gin. The earliest documented burial in this cemetery, established on land set aside by William Sturrock, is that of his first wife, Cynthia Frisby Sturrock (1819-1853). Distinctive gravestones and structures, including traditional Scottish house tombs or false crypts, mark the graves of generations of Sturrock family members and some of their neighbors, including many children, veterans of the Civil War and World War I, and one African American slave who died in 1864 during the Civil War. The graves are aligned in a traditional east-west configuration. Maintained by descendants, the cemetery serves as a reminder of the pioneer spirit of its founders."
|Sturrock, William (I1603)
||William T. was born in Logan Co. KY where he lived until after the Civil war. He served with Morgan's Raiders during the conflict between the states, during which time he received an injury to his leg which troubled him slightly for his entire life. He was a member of the Disciples Of Christ (Campbellites); places of residence were Kentucky, Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma, where he died in 1917. He is not to be confused with William T. Cloud Jr., who was the son of his brother John B. Cloud. It was at this William Jr.'s home that William T. died in 1917. (From info prepared by Gayle Cloud, Little Rock AR) (email from Ruth Harris of Oct. 20 1998) ||Cloud, William Taswell CSA (I66252)
||William the Conqueror: Said to be of medium height, corpulent, but majestic in person, choleric, mendacious, greedy, a great soldier, governor, centralizer, legislator, and innovator. (Encyc. of World History page 191).|
|Conqueror, William The King of England* (I19134)
||William Wallace Cunningham spent his early adult life working as a shipping clerk for various railroads, and eventually for the Southern Pacific Lines at Columbus, TX. It was in Columbus, that WWC met a doctor named Robert Henry Harrison Jr. who encouraged him to go to medical school. WWC went to the Medical College in Cinncinatti, Ohio and graduated in 1884, with an MD. After graduation, he practiced for a short time in Columbus, TX and then moved to Orange, TX. It was in Orange that he met, and later married Bettie Morris White.|
In 1890, WWC and his wife, Bettie moved to Beaumont, where WWC started his own practice. He was instrumental in building a hospital in Beaumont, called the "Hotel Dieu" which was constructed with the help of WB Sharpe, a wealthy oil man.
In addition to being Beaumont's doctor for most of is life, WWC was also member of the local Masonic Faternity, the Knights Templar, the Shrine, and a Master of Beaumont Lodge. He organized the Beaumont Chapter of the Red Cross during the first World War (his granddaughter, Nena Cunningham Dahling, has a letter written to him by Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross). He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Jefferson County Medical Society, and was a director of the American National Bank in Beaumont.
He was the Wiess family doctor and delivered Pauline Priddie, who later married his son Kenneth.
"...His funeral was the most beautiful tribute--there was not a seat in the church. Spilling into the streets, the people stood, rich and poor, Catholic, Jew and Protestant. The mother of the hospital and six sisters followed our carriage. The two priests and the Rabbi stood together. He always said, a good name is more to be desired than great riches. He died with the best of names..."
|Cunningham, Dr. William Wallace M.D. (I44091)
||William was a native of Rockingham County, North Carolina, a son of a prosperous plantation family. He migrated west to the Mississippi Territory in the 1790's along with several of his siblings and his widowed mother who had remarried a gentleman named Adonijah Harbour. William's mother settled in East Feliciana Parish near Bayou Sara and William settled further north in Mississippi. In the early 1800's, William relocated to St. Landry Parish near Opelousas.|
His son William, and daughters, Jane and Melina, migrated to Texas along with their families.
1810 Census, Opelousas Parish, Louisiana, pg. 326-2.
William Dalton 2(M10) 1(M10-15) 1(M16-25) 0(M25-44) 1(M45+)(William was 42) 1(F10)(Melina?) 1(F10-15)(Jane/Charlotte?) 0(F16-25) 1(F25-44) 0(F45+) 0(other free persons) 0(slaves)
1820 St. Landry LA census p. 106
William G. Daldon; 000201010010700??000410000000000 20
(unsure of the "7" and the "20" at the end)
1830 St. Landry LA census, p. 22
William Dalton; 2 males under 5; 1 male 30-40; 1 female under 5 and 1 female 20-30.
|Dalton, William Gallihue (I5711)
||William was called Bill. He was a merchant, carpenter and bought and sold thoroughbred bulls. He also had schooling for a private detective. At one time he and his sister, Mary, had a store in Harvard, Nebraska. William died from a stroke. He had no children.|
|Seybold, William Clinton "Bill" (I3137)
||William was originally from Pennsylvania and came from Virginia to Big Sycamore near the Quarter before 1800. Info from the P. G. Fulkerson papers: 19 Dec 1979.|
|Devault, William Abraham (I88737)
||William Waters was adopted by his stepfather, Obedience Robins and was subsequently educated in England and served as Major of Militia in Northhampton county, Virginia. He served as High Sheriff, Peace Justice and member of the Quorum Court. He also served in the House of Burgesses in 1652 1654, 1659, and 1660. He was elected Governor of Virginia in 1656.|
|Waters, Col. William (I27267)
||William Waters was reported to have been a Naval officer at Accomac County, VA.|
|Waters, William (I27274)
||William White (1839-1915), was the son of W. W. Whittington, Sr. and Ann C. Holt, both apparently of Maryland. William’s early schooling was in Maryland and at Princeton College, New Jersey. In the Civil War, he was an orderly, a sergeant, a lieutenant with Captain Benjamin’s Calvary, and an aid to General John A. Wharton. He became clerk of Rapides District Court, he studied law, and he was admitted to the bar in 1869. Later he was deputy clerk of the U.S. Court, Louisiana Western District, and justice of the peace. He owned land west of Tyrone Plantation and his neighbor, George Mason Graham.|
|Whittington, Judge William White Jr. (I189688)
||William Whittington's estate was administered to his widow Betty Whittington on March 25, 1740. James Wishart and William Beavens were securities (Accomack county Orders 1737-44, p. 240)|
||William's body was prepared for interment at the Mt. Scott Funeral Home in Portland. ||Eastburn, William Asa (I7880)
||William's will dated 12/1/1812 Franklin County, Va Book 6 Page|
|Dodd, William (I124634)
||William's will was probated March 7, 1737/8 in Accomack county, Virginia. William Black, along with George "Kutler", were named trustees for Hugh Roberts' children in his will of November 3, 1720. Thomas Rose, age 33, left William Black a gold ring in his will of November 2, 1722. On November 1, 1723, William Black witnessed the will of Col. Tully Robinson. In his will, written June 10, 1728, William Black left his whole estate to his wife Margaret, who was also named executrix. Witnesses were Henry Bagwell, Delight Shield, William Nowell, William Haizlup, John Allen, John Bagwell, William Tazewell, Thomas Parramore (Acc Co Wills 1737-1743, p. 7). Evidently his first wife, Sarah Scarburgh, had died and he had remarried.|
||Williamson County Marriage Book 6, p. 95|
George and Annie Cloud had no children.
||Willie Mae died when her son Sammie was eighteen months old so the children and their father went to live with their grandparents Dave and Rena Moore where they stayed until Sam Jones remarried.|
|Moore, Willie Mae (I99480)
||Willie Rose; b. 8-31-1888 d. 7-1974; LR Morton, Cochrane, TX 79346 ||Cloud, Willie Lenore "Lee" (I4273)
||WILLIS E CLOUD, 24 Jul 1915, 08 May 2002, LR 85225 (Chandler, Maricopa, AZ), 527-05-7405, issued AZ ||Cloud, Willis Elzie (I348)
||Willis Whatley was a minister.|
Big Stephens Creek Baptist Church 1803 (SC Baptists)
Pastor Pilgrims Creek Baptist Church, Gasport, Alabama
Zion Baptist Church, Clark County, Alabama, Founded July 3, 1824, located 3 miles north of Monroeville
1790 Edgefield County, South Carolina Census
1810 Edgefield County, South Carolina Census
1830 Clark County, Alabama Census
|Whatley, Rev. Willis (I59038)
||Wilma Hillman 16 Aug 1991 letter to writer original in possession of writer|
Residence: 1831, Jackson, MO Occupation: Farmer and landowner, livery operator, mayor
Occupation: member, Missouri Legislature three times
EVENT: 20 JUL 1862 Robbed of his livestock by Jayhawkers.
Burial: 20 JUL 1862, Harrisonville, Cass, MO believed buried in unmarked grave
|Younger, Henry Washington (I42374)
||Wilma NATION of Sapulpa Creek, OK, b. circa 1927, married Ervin E. FOWLER, b. ca 1917 and of Huntsville, AR, on Oct 1, 1945 in Huntsville, Madison, AR|
||Wilmington DE vital records 1847-1954 - deaths 1847-1888|
Annie Mary Cloud, b. DE, F, 6 months old
|Cloud, Annie Mary (I208640)
||Wilson Co., Kansas Marriages 1864-1900, by Claire Ramsey:|
Jesse M. Cloud, age 21 of Quenemo to Florence B. Carroll, age 19 of Neodesha, married 17 December 1895 by N. Vezie; groom born Kansas, father James S. Cloud; mother Lillie Baker, bride born Kansas, father John J. Carroll; mother: Sarah R. Welden
||Wilson Creek Battlefield National Park is the location of Richard Scaggs farm house.|
Verner Dotson in her letter dated 23 Oct 1969 states that her mother visited the house many times as a young girl. A pamphlet published by the National Park Service shows a map of the battlefield with the Skegg's branch of Wilson Creek.. The name was misspelled as Skegg's instead of Scaggs. Old timers in area tried to get the Park Service to change it according to Henry Warren, Jr. but they would not.
|Scaggs, Richard (I90032)