Below is a transcription of a letter sent July 28, 1931 by Arthur Irving Bumstead to his second cousin Mrs. Jessie Wiess Whittington.
BUMSTEAD FAMILY RECORD
The following is a copy of a record of the Bumstead Family written Dec. 27, 1906 by Arthur Irving Bumstead from information given him, chiefly by Ida G. Hatch from records in her possession together with some additions. A large portion of said information was given said Ida G. Hatch by Elizabeth Caroline Bumstead Ebner from records made by her.
Jacob Bumstead born of Quaker parents at Hemstead, L.I. July 27, 1770. Married Feb. 16, 1801 to Rhoda Martin of Bloomfield, N.J. Rhoda Martin was born Sept. 30, 1782. Her parents were farmers. Her mother's name was Crane and was
related to the Baldwins, Condits and Canfield's of N.J. Rhoda Martin Bumstead died in Ohio in July, 1854.
CHILDREN OF JACOB BUMSTEAD AND RHODA MARTIN BUMSTEAD
- Mary Ann Bumstead born March 29, 1802. Married Thos. McDermott. Settled in Ohio.
- Abigale Crane Bumstead born Jan. 14, 1804. Married Nelson Rowland. (His mother was Spanish and father English) Had one son, Geo. W.H. Rowland born Dec 31, 1828. Died Dec. 3, 1852.
- Lemuel H. Bumstead born Dec. 5, 1805. Died in infancy.
- Lucinda Bumstead born May 4, 1809. Died at age of sixteen.
- Mourad Whitfield Bumstead born Feb. 12, 1811. Settled in Texas.
- Editha Bumstead born March 1, 1813. Married William Rowland, brother to Nelson Rowland before mentioned. Had two sons and one daughter. Sons Henry and Albert. Henry was drowned. Albert may still be living in New York. Sister disappeared.
- Elizabeth Caroline Bumstead born Nov. 26., 1814. Married to Johnathan Ebner Sept. 21, 1848.
- Emily R.F. born Dec. 20, 1849
- Geo. M. born Mar. 9, 1852
- Franklin R. born Aug. 2, 1853
- Emily R.F. married to Marshall M. Carr Aug 25, 1876.
- Had two children,
- Edith Estella born July 4, 1877.
- Ruth E. born Aug 25, 1879
- Geo. M. Ebner married Feb. 21, 1885 to Genevra A. Hatch, who was his cousin.
- Matilda M. Bumstead born Dec. 6, 1816. Married to Geo. Hatch, her cousin (son of Abram Hatch and Lois Martin) on Oct. 16, 1849
- Ella born Nov. 3, 1850
- Fred H. born June 18, 1852
- Arthur Eugene died in infancy
- Ida G. born Sept. 8, 1855
- Jenevra A. born Aug. 27. 1857
- Emily Louise born Jan. 21, 1859
- Jenevra A. married Geo. M. Ebner as before mentioned.
- Sarah Emily Bumstead born Feb 7, 1812 (she was born 1819, ed.). Married to Richard G. Thompson Jan. 9, 1849. Died Aug. 16, 1852.
They had one son. Whether he ever reached maturity is unknown.
- Caleb Martin Bumstead born April 1, 1822. Died in Ohio. Date unknown. Married to Eliza A. Estabrook, formerly Eliza A. Hatch, his cousin, and a sister to Geo. Hatch before mentioned. Date of marriage, May 7, 1850. Had one son, Geo.
W. Bumstead born March 23, 1853.
- CHILDREN OF GEORGE M. BUMSTEAD AND ESTELLA P. CADY.
- Rocoe M. Born Jan. 20, 1879
- Florence E. born July 14, 1881
- Arthur L. born Mar. 18, 1884
- Raymond S. born Oct. 7, 1887
- Roscoe M. married to Mary Louis Groff on March 24, 1908. Have two children.
- George Raymond born Feb. 14, 1909
- a daughter (unnamed as yet) born July 9, 1911.
- Forence E. married to John Richards Hegeman Oct. 14, 1909.
Had one son born Sept. 14, 1910. Richard Arthur, who died in April, 1911.
Dated at Saratoga Springs, N.Y. July 28, 1911.